Turiya paatra features an unusual combination of ridge gourd and paatra. But, however uncommon the combination might sound to you, it is very common in gujarati tradition, and is a must-serve item for weddings held in gujarat. In the customary way, people add the paatras directly without steaming, but that takes much longer to cook. So, i always suggest steaming and adding the paatras as in this quick and easy version.
Makes 4 servings
2 cups ridge gourd (turai) cubes
6 to 8 paatra , cut into cubes
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
1/2 tsp soda bi- carb
1 recipe coconut-coriander masala
1 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
salt to taste
1 tsp sugar
For The Garnish
- Heat the oil in a non-stick kadhai and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the ridge gourd, asafoetida, soda bi–carb and 1 cup of water and mix well.
- Cover and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut-coriander paste, turmeric powder and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for another 5 to 7 minutes or till the ridge gourd becomes tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add the paatra and sugar, toss gently and simmer for 5 minutes, while stirring once in between.
- Serve hot garnished with coconut and coriander.
Recipe Source: Turiya Paatra