If the peppermint cupcake is ideal for adults, then the chocolate chip cupcake is best-suited for kids—and for adults who are young at heart! children are sure to love this cupcake, where delicious chocolate chips play hide-and-seek. This cupcake has an unusual combo of both vanilla and chocolate flavours, and a fantastic butter icing with melted chocolate. You can make it even more appealing by garnishing with edible silver balls.
Makes 6 cupcakes
For The Vanilla Chocolate Chip Sponge
3/4 cup plain flour (maida)
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup (200 gms) condensed milk
3 tbsp melted butter
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
2 tbsp chocolate chips
For The Frosting
For the vanilla chocolate chip sponge
- Sieve the plain flour, baking powder and soda bi-carb together in a bowl and keep aside.
- Combine the condensed milk, melted butter, vanilla essence and 2 tbsp of water in another bowl and whisk well.
- Add the flour mixture and chocolate chips and mix gently with help of a spatula to make a batter of dropping consistency.
- Pour equal quantity of the batter into 6 greased and dusted 68 mm. (2½”) diameter aluminum moulds.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200ºc (400ºf) for 10 minutes and at 150ºc (300ºf) for 15 to 20 minutes or till done. The sponge is done when it leaves the sides of the mould and is springy to touch.
- Allow it to cool completely (approx. 30 minutes). Keep aside.
For the frosting
- Put the butter in a deep bowl and beat it using a spatula.
- Add the icing sugar and melted chocolate and mix well. Keep aside.
How to proceed
- Fill the frosting in a piping bag as shown on page 20 and pipe out swirls of your choice on each cupcake.
- Garnish each cupcake with a chocolate chips and edible silver balls and serve immediately.
Recipe Source: Chocolate Chip Cupcakes