A launji is made of a delicate balance of sweet and tangy flavours which each family has its own recipe, this one came from a friend's home. She preferred to use capsicum instead of methi or tomatoes and the results were lip smacking. The secret of making a good launji is to let all the ingredients simmer over a slow flame so that the flavours mingle together to yield a harmonious whole.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 7 minutes
Makes 0.75 cup
1 cup capsicum , cut into cubes
2 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp nigella seeds (kalonji)
1 tsp fennel seeds (saunf)
1 tsp finely chopped green chillies
a pinch turmeric powder (haldi)
2 tsp coriander (dhania) powder
1/2 tsp chilli powder
3/4 tsp dried mango powder (amchur)
2 tbsp sugar
salt to taste
1. Heat the oil in a non-stick pan, add the nigella seeds, fennel seeds and green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
2. Add the capsicum and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
3. Add the turmeric powder, coriander powder, chilli powder, dried mango powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
4. Add ½ cup of water, sugar and salt and cook on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes or till the capsicum turn soft, while stirring occasionally.
5. Serve immediately or store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days.
Shimla Mirch ki Laungi