Makes 4 servings
1/4 cup cluster beans (gavarfali)
1 corn cob , cut into 2" pieces
1/2 cup peeled and cubed bottle gourd (doodhi / lauki)
2 drumsticks (saijan ki phalli / saragavo) , cut into 75 mm. (3") pieces
1/4 cup ladies finger (bhindi) , slit green chillies into 2 vertically
1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1/2 tsp fenugreek (methi) seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida (hing)
4 tbsp besan (bengal gram flour)
2 tsp chopped green chillies
1/2 tsp dried ginger (soonth) powder
4 to 6 curry leaves (kadi patta)
1/2 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
2 tsp chilli powder
1 to 2 tbsp tamarind (imli) pulp
3 tbsp oil
salt to taste
- Boil the cluster beans, corn, white pumpkin and drumsticks in 2 cups of water till they are tender. Keep aside. Do nit discard half the water.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds. When they crackle add the asafoetida.
- Add the besan and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes over a medium flame till it is golden brown stirring continuously.
- Add the ladies finger and mix well. Add 2 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Add the green chillies, dry ginger powder, curry leaves, turmeric powder, chilli powder, tamarind pulp and all the cooked vegetables and salt and bring to a boil. Simmer till the ladies finger is cooked.
- Serve hot.
Recipe Source: Sindhi Kadhi ( Jain Desi Khana) by Tarla Dalal
Post a Comment