Makes 6 rotis
For The Dough
3/4 cup whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta)
1 tbsp melted ghee
salt to taste
For The Stuffing
3/4 cup grated fresh coconut
2 tsp ghee
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp cardamom (elaichi) powder
1/2 tsp nutmeg (jaiphal) powder
ghee for cooking
For the dough
- Combine the flour, ghee and salt in a bowl and mix well.
- Knead into a soft dough using enough water and keep aside.
For the stuffing
- Heat the ghee in a broad non-stick pan, add the coconut and cook on a medium flame for 5 to 7 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Remove from the flame, add the sugar, cardamom powder and nutmeg powder and mix well.
- Divide the stuffing into 6 equal portions and keep aside.
How to proceed
- Knead the dough and divide it into 6 equal portions.
- Roll out each portion of the dough into a175 mm. (7”) diameter circle.
- Place a roti on a flat, dry surface, spread a portion of the prepared stuffing on half of the roti and fold it over to make a semi-circle.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and cook the roti, using a little ghee, till it turns golden brown in colour from both the sides.
- Repeat with the remaining dough and stuffing to make 5 more rotis.
- Serve immediately.
Recipe Source: Nariyal Ki Meethi Roti by Tarla Dalal