1 cup plain flour (maida)
1/2 tsp dry yeast
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tbsp fresh curds (dahi)
1 tbsp melted ghee
salt to taste
5 tsp black sesame seeds (kala til)
plain flour (maida) for rolling
butter for brushing
- Combine the yeast, sugar and 5 tbsp of lukewarm water in a bowl and cover and keep aside for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Combine the plain flour, yeast-sugar mixture, curds, melted ghee and salt and in a bowl and knead into a soft dough, using enough lukewarm water until it is smooth.
- Cover the dough with a lid or wet muslin cloth and allow it prove till it increases in volume slightly (approx. 30 minutes).
- Divide the dough into 10 equal portions.
- Press a portion of the dough flat on a rolling board and sprinkle ½ tsp of black sesame seeds over it. Roll out into an oblong of 125 mm. (5") using a little plain flour.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and place the naan over it with the sesame seeds side facing downwards.
- Cook it on one side till it puffs slightly and then turn over.
- Cook it on the other side till it puffs a little and then roast it on an open flame till it turns golden brown from both the sides.
- Repeat the steps 5 to 8 to make 9 more naans.
- Brush each naan with a little butter and serve immediately.
Recipe Source: Naan by Tarla Dalal
Post a Comment