Makes 1 cups
1/4 cup freshly grated coconut
1/2 cup chopped coriander (dhania)
1/2 tsp oil
2 tbsp chana dal (split bengal gram)
1 tbsp urad dal (split black lentils)
2 small green chillies , chopped
1 tsp grated ginger (adrak)
salt to taste
For The Tempering1 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
1 tsp urad dal (split black lentils)
1 whole dry kashmiri red chilli , broken into pieces
2 to 3 curry leaves (kadi patta)
a pinch asafoetida (hing)
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan and add the chana and urad dal and lightly roast them till they turn crisp and brown in colour. Keep aside to cool.
- When cool, blend the dals in a mixer to a fine powder.
- Add the coconut, coriander, green chillies, ginger and salt to it and blend to a smooth paste 5 tbsp of water. Keep aside.
- For the tempering, heat the oil in a small non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the urad dal, red chillies, curry leaves and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for 10 seconds.
- Pour this tempering over the chutney and mix well.
- Refrigerate and use as required.
Recipe Source: Healthy Coconut Chutney