Semolina and vermicelli idlis are very popular in karnataka, where they make it in such big moulds that one idli will suffice for breakfast! the tempering adds to the aroma, while the cashews provide a crunchy respite in every mouthful. You can add some boiled veggies and coriander to the batter to make it more wholesome.Ingredients
Makes 16 idlis
Makes 16 idlis
3/4 cup semolina (rava)
1 1/2 cups rice vermicelli (seviyan) , broken into 1” pieces
4 1/2 tbsp oil
2 tbsp coarsely powdered cashewnuts (kaju)
1/2 cup curds (dahi)
salt to taste
2 tsp urad dal (split black lentils)
1 tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
2 tsp finely chopped green chillies
4 to 5 curry leaves (kadi patta)
1 tsp fruit salt
- Heat ½ tbsp of oil in a non-stick pan, add the semolina and roast on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes or till the semolina is light pink in colour, while stirring continuously.
- Remove from the flame and keep aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in the same pan, add the cashewnuts and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Remove from the flame and add to the semolina and keep aside.
- Heat 1 more tbsp of oil in the same non-stick pan, add the vermicelli and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, or till it turns light brown in colour.
- Remove from the flame and add it to the semolina-cashew mixture.
- Add the curds, 1 cup of water and salt and mix well to get a batter of dropping consistency.
- Keep aside.
- Heat the remaining 1 tbsp of oil in a small non-stick pan, add the urad dal and mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, switch off the flame, add the green chillies and curry leaves and sauté for a few seconds.
- Add it to the semolina-cashew mixture and mix well.
- Add little more water (approx. ¼ cup) and mix well to adjust the batter to dropping consistency.
- Just before steaming, add the fruit salt and 1 tbsp of water over the batter.
- When the bubbles form, mix gently.
- Pour a little batter into each greased idli mould and steam in a steamer for 8 to 10 minutes or till the idlis are cooked.
- Cool slightly, demould and serve immediately with coconut chutney.
Recipe Source: Semolina and Vermicelli Idlis by Tarla Dalal