A simple yet hearty dal with the goodness of fresh crunchy cucumber. A quick-to-dole-out recipe, so if you are late from work and craving for some piping hot dal, try this one out. It won’t disappoint!
Makes 4 servings
3/4 cup chana dal (split bengal gram)
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1/2 cup roughly chopped cucumber
a pinch turmeric powder (haldi)
1 tsp ginger-green chilli paste
salt to taste
1/2 tsp chilli powder
a pinch of sugar
For The Garnish1 tbsp finely chopped coriander
- Wash and soak the chana dal in water for at least an hour and drain well.
- Combine the chana dal with 2 cups of water in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 2 whistles or till the dal is soft.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Mash the dal lightly with the back of the spoon and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the cooked dal, cucumber, turmeric powder, ginger-green chilli paste, salt and chilli powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 to 7 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the sugar, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.