A quick and delicious way to make the all time favourite aloo mutter. The potato and peas are cooked together with a few spices to impart a subtle and distinctive flavour.
Makes 4 servings
1 1/2 cups potatoes boiled , peeled and cubed
1 cup boiled green peas
1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
3/4 cup chopped onions
1 tsp finely chopped ginger (adrak)
1 tsp green chilli paste
1/2 tsp finely chopped garlic (lehsun)
1 cup chopped tomatoes
a pinch of turmeric powder (haldi)
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
2 tbsp oil
salt to taste
For The Garnish
1 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania)
- Heat the oil and add the cumin seeds and allow them to crackle. When they crackle, add the onions and sauté till they are translucent.
- Add the garlic, ginger,green chilli paste and tomatoes and simmer till the tomatoes are cooked. Mash lightly using a potato masher and add 1 tbsp water.
- Add the green peas,potatoes, salt,chilli powder, garam masala and and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of water and allow it to come to a boil.
- Mash 2 to 3 pieces of potatoes in the pan to thicken the gravy. Simmer till the gravy thickens.
- Garnish with the coriander and serve hot with rotis or parathas.
Recipe Source : Aloo Mutter by Tarla Dalal