MIXED DAL - by Tarla Dalal
tasty combination of lentils.
Cooking Time : 40 min. Preparation Time : 10 min. Serves 6.
1 tablespoon moong dal
1 tablespoon masoor dal
1 tablespoon urad dal
1 tablespoon chana dal
2 tablespoons toovar dal
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 onion, chopped
2 teaspoons coriander powder
1 teaspoon chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
2 tablespoons chopped coriander
3 tablespoons ghee
salt to taste
For the tempering
2 tablespoons butter
1 chopped tomato
1 teacup fresh curds
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
1. Wash all the dals. Soak for 1 hour and then drain.
2.Heat the ghee. Add the cumin seeds and cook until they begin to crackle.
3. Add the onion and cook until light pink.
4. Now add all the dals and cook again for 4 to 5 minutes.
5. Add 1 litre of water and cook on a slow flame until soft.
6. Then add the coriander powder, chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt. Cover and cook until two thirds of the water has evaporated.
7. Mash the dals lightly.
8. Prepare the tempering by melting the butter, adding the tomato, curds and garam masala and cooking on a slow flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
9. Add to the cooked dals and stir for 3 to 4 minutes.
Sprinkle coriander on top and serve hot.
Recipe Source : Exciting Vegetarian Cooking